Sunday, June 20, 2010

E3 Wrap-Up: Part 3

Sony

While I don’t really consider myself a fanboy, per se, I do have a vested interest in Sony’s success. I own pretty much all of Sony’s consoles (well, except for the Go), and the PS3 was my choice as my first next-gen console. So, naturally, I was really hoping for a slew of new games announced at E3 that would really get me excited. Did Sony produce? Honestly, I’m not sure.

Killzone 3
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Generally Positive
- I have never really been interested in Killzone, but the trailer looked fantastic. It’s still not quite my thing, being an FPS and all, but it still looked great.

Sorcery
Pre-E3 – Never heard of it
Post-E3 – Generally Positive
- Upon seeing the first screens of Sorcery during the show, I was a bit put off. I’m generally opposed to motion control, as I don’t think it really brings anything new to the table (Metroid Prime 3 being the lone exception), but Sorcery appeared to have actually tapped into some innovative use of a motion control. I was really impressed with how the magic spell changes based on exactly how the player casts it with the controller. I can almost definitely say I won’t buy it, but it did get a slight approving head nod from me.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Still Ambivalent
- I hate playing golf in real life. I hate playing golf on my TV. I do not want this game. The Move control seemed to work a bit better than the Wii golf that I’ve played in the past, but that’s about the only props I can give this game. Steke is definitely not the target audience for these types of games.

Heroes on the Move
Pre-E3 – Didn’t know about it
Post-E3 – Confused mostly
- I guess I just got lost somewhere and failed to grasp the concept behind Heroes on the Move. I know that it is kind of a Playstation-All-Stars-Mashup, but I just didn’t get a good feel for it. Plus, I’ve never really followed Sony’s flagship exclusives, so this isn't tugging at my nostalgia.

Kevin Butler
- Is the Man. Seriously. This guy is the best marketing strategy I’ve ever seen. Just watch this.No really, stop reading and go watch it now.

Chains of Olympus
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Confused again
- They kind of threw Chains of Olympus and Ghosts of Sparta into a massive and convoluted PSP ad. I had difficulty getting a solid feel for any of the games shown, as they was kind of thrown together. I love the PSP, I think it is a fantastic system. The downside, however, is that there are something like five games on it that I really want (which is why I bought them). Apart from that tiny slice of games, nothing really interests me on the console. It always feels as if Sony is on the verge of dropping the PSP entirely. I wish they would; either that, or, I don’t know, maybe consider supporting it? Seriously Sony, either back your console or drop it and give us something new that you will support.

Home Plus
- Online play really isn’t my thing, so this is transparent to me. As long as I can still do the bare minimum of online stuff for free, I really could care less what Sony chooses to do with PSN

Little Big Planet 2
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Still Ambivalent
- Little Big Planet is somewhat beyond me. I just don’t get it. Plus, it relies on online and multiplayer support to maximize its potential, which is why I stay away from it.

Medal of Honor
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Slightly Negative
- The EA press event had a much more impressive display, when 12 v 12 was demo-ed right there on stage. Still, like almost every other announced PS3 game, it does look really good. However, I am unsure of how I feel about games that are based on current, actual wars with locations and circumstances that match real-life situations from that war. It just doesn’t sit right with me. I won’t argue against the game being made or sold, I simply won’t play it, nor get very excited about it.

Dead Space 2
Pre-E3 – Anticipatory
Post-E3 – Positive, but a bit less excited
- I haven’t had much of a chance to play through the first Dead Space, but from what I’ve played, combined with what I have read, heard, and seen on the interwebs, makes me very interested in the original and the sequel. Unfortunately, the demo was a bit hectic and I had trouble grasping what was going on, especially during the boss fight. I know that I will buy it; and I know I will die several (hundred) times.

Portal 2
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Still Ambivalent
- Yeah I haven’t played Portal. I suppose I should be happy the sequel is coming to consoles. Maybe I’ll just have to pick it up and see what the fuss is about.

Final Fantasy XIV
- What the hell was this? The Final Fantasy series contains some of my favorite games of all time. I always give the franchise the benefit of the doubt, regardless of negative reviews (although I should have passed on X, ugh). But, this? This looked awful. It didn’t show me anything, unless you count bad character design and sub-par graphics. Definitely a pass. (To be honest, it was a pass well before the trailer, mainly due to it being an MMO. Look, I know that WOW is a great game, I simply know I be one of those guys who gets totally sucked in and loses his entire like to it. So I pass when it comes to MMOs.)

Assassins Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer
- The trailer really didn’t show much of anything, besides a dude in a ridiculous costume who kills a guy, who in turn is killed by another guy in a ridiculous costume, who is then hunted down and killed by a third, and so on. Very underwhelming.

Gran Turismo 5
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Ambivalent
- I will not deny that graphically, GT 5 looks amazing. There were points during the trailer when I was unsure if it was game footage or video of the actual cars. Other than being a graphical masterpiece, I didn’t see anything to really interest me. I’m happy all the GT fans out there finally get their long awaited fifth installment, it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Infamous 2
Pre-E3 – Ambivalent
Post-E3 – Ambivalent
- Just like nearly every other game announced by Sony, I feel that Infamous should get me excited, but instead falls flat.

Twisted Metal

Pre-E3 – Had heard the rumors
Post-E3 – Ambivalent
- Yet another sequel to a franchise that I’ve never really bought in to. I thought the new Sniper mechanic was an interesting addition, but otherwise seemed kind of par for the Twisted Metal course.

Overall, I felt let down by Sony’s press conference. With all the games announced, there was nothing that really excited me. All the games looked beautiful and there are folks out there who are, no doubt, thrilled by most of the announcements; but for me, it was all lackluster. Kevin Butler really was all kinds of awesome though.

No comments:

Post a Comment